Friday, March 29, 2013

Music: You Are My Sunshine

Update: I've made some changes to mistakes in the lyrics.

Most Americans know this song, yet most Americans know almost nothing about it.  I sang this song as child in school.  Many parents sung this song to their children before nap-time.  However, until recently I only knew the chorus.
From K. Enokson.
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You'll never know dear how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

This song was written by Oliver Hood, and was first recorded in 1939.  This song did not become popular until 1940, when Jimmie Davis recorded the song.  Jimmie Davis was a United States senator for Louisiana from 1944-1948 and 1960-1964.  He often sang this song at while he was campaigning.  There is a long history of entertainers becoming involved in US politics.

This song has been performed by many famous musicians, including Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan.  The version below was recorded by American folk musician Norman Blake, for the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack.  Below the video you will find the lyrics.  Further down you will also find more performances of the song.

Video: Norman Blake performs You Are My Sunshine
 


Lyrics
The other night dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
But when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

I'll always love you and make you happy,
If you will only say the same.
But if you leave me and love another,
You'll regret it all some day:

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

You told me once, dear, you really loved me
And no one else could come between.
But now you've left me and love another;
You have shattered all of my dreams:

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

In all my dreams, dear, you seem to leave me
When I awake my poor heart pains.
So won't you come back and make me happy?
I'll forgive you dear, I'll take all the blame.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

A short biography of Johnny Cash through one song and three performances 
In this next video, Johnny Cash performs with his wife June Carter for a TV special in the 1970s (This is my guess. I could not find a date for this performance.)  Johnny Cash proposed to June Carter during a concert in Ontario, in 1968. Cash and Carter remained together for more than 30 years.  He has often said that she is his inspiration.

Video: Johnny Cash and June Carter



In 1969, Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan recorded a country-western version of the song.  In the 1960s, Johnny Cash was known as an "outlaw" and a rebel. Perhaps you can hear it in the next video.

Video: Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan perform




In 1997, Johnny Cash became ill.  But he did not stop recording.  His wife , June Carter, remained a source of inspiration for him.  She encouraged him to continue making music.  After Carter's death in May 2003, Cash recorded an additional 50 songs.  This next video is among them.  In this performance, the words seem to have a whole new meaning.  Johnny Cash died September 2003.

Video: Johnny Cash's last recordings


At Johnny Cash's last performance in July of 2003, he read a statement about his deceased wife:

"The spirit of June Carter overshadows me tonight with the love she had for me and the love I have for her. We connect somewhere between here and heaven. She came down for a short visit, I guess, from heaven to visit with me tonight to give me courage and inspiration like she always has."

Together, these videos and the song could seem tragic, and maybe they are.  I cried when I first heard Cash's last recording of the song.  However, I also think this song, and these recordings could show the power and hope of love.  And I can't think of any better message to share with you.

-Eric, NYC

Respond
What did you learn about American country music listening to these songs?
Did you have a favorite version (or performance) of the song?
Did you know this song before seeing this post?  Where have you heard it?

4 comments:

  1. What a VERY, VERY SWEET song. I just could not hold my tears and they were rolling down my cheeks with happiness. Although I do listen a lot to country music, I have never known this song. This is the kind of music I am fond of enjoying to listen. I do not know how I can thank you for sharing it with us here, Just WONDERFUL, Now I am downloading it while writing this comment. I just want to teach my students this song and they will love it forever. Thank you Eric and I need more songs like this and I am sure you know plenty.

    Hakim, Bejaia, Algeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hakim,

      I am so glad you like it. Let me know if you had a favorite version, because I could certainly recommend more.

      If you liked the Norman Blake version (the first video), I would definitely recommend the O Brother, Where Art Thou Soundtrack. I think (this is just my personal opinion) this soundtrack and movie was responsible in many ways for rekindling America's interest in Roots music (the blues and folk music recorded in the 1930s and 1940s, before the days of big commercial recording companies).

      If you liked any of the Johnny Cash versions, well, there is plenty to recommend. Each decade of his recording career has a different sound, but it's all Johnny Cash. Truly an American legend.

      Glad you're enjoying these posts. I want to build a BIG collection of music we can use in class, so I will keep posting more.

      -Eric

      Delete
    2. Hello Eric,

      I like the O Brother, Where Art Thou Soundtrack.The music is so sweet and soft. So, my students are going to learn it by heart, and then they will sing it for you. You will hear another version,,,...lol. I am sure it will be beautiful. I do want you to post more sweet songs to teach in the classroom. Teaching songs is really motivating and it helps students improve their listening skill.

      Thanks a million, Eric

      Hakim, Bejaia, Algeria

      Delete
  2. hello, im not americain im algerian but i know this song it's really sweet ...my favourite kind of music is the temporary pop rnb rap ... i do really love bruno mars, one direction ,alicia keys, chris brown, 30 secondes to mars and moooore ....I listen to music every day and i enjoy learning english this way between the sad songs and the happy ones i find a big diversity in words that allouds to me to learn more and understand the meaning ...thanks a lot good job and good luck

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Tell us what you think! Please write your name after your comment, so the author of the post knows who to reply to. You don't need to use your full name: first name only is fine.

-Eric, NYC