Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Level 5 NYC: Madjid's Audio Narrative


I saw that Hakim had posted writing from Madjid.  Madjid is responsible for connecting Hakim and me.  He was a student in Hakim's class, and after he moved to New York City, he joined my ESOL class.  He introduced me to Hakim in the winter.

I wanted to post a later draft from Madjid's writing.  In the fall, the students wrote personal narratives to make an "Audio Story."  The idea is to tell a story using words, sounds, and music--something like a radio program.  This is Madjid's example.  Click the play button to listen.  The text for his Audio Story is below.


-Eric, NYC



Play the Audio


Podcast Powered By Podbean



Madjid’s Story

Arts and Graphic Industries is my specialty, I studied three years in the college of Arts and Graphics Industries at Algiers to become a Printing Operator and Graphic Designer, what the Printing Operator and Graphic Designer can do?

A graphic designer is responsible of Implementation and monitoring of design projects (catalog, packaging, advertising signs, Banner, business card, brochure,...etc) And Studies of communication projects for different companies. For this kind of job you need a good performance of computers and knowledge about some programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Coral Draw…etc. I worked as a printer on digital printing machine in an interesting company that made a publicity for a different companies it was very interesting for my carrier and I was enjoying that job when I print or concept a large poster and I found it out side in the street I fell happy that my realization can showed by everyone. A Graphic Designer must be creative, intensive, intelligent,…etc. because the Graphic Arts is very vast and it change every time so, I have to be up date with the technology of programs, printing and graphics.

I was working too in a big company of printing, we were making generally a books, newspaper, magazine, brochure, …etc. we printed between 30.000 and 36.000 copy per day, I was a printing operator on printing machine (KBA C213), 4 groups of colors, my role is to operate the big machine that print 25.000 copy of 32 pages per hour, Inspect and examine printed products for print clarity, color accuracy, conformance to specifications, select and install printing plates,…etc. The most important in this job that you have to be fast because the machine is very fast so you have to think faster and correctly at the same time. We worked on two groups (day and night) we were working in a good environment like a family. It was a amazing and interesting experience for my carrier.

We worked hard and without week-end, two or three months no stop, week after week it was very busy to work two months consecutively. But I had a lot of things for my experience and carrier that it will be helpful for me in the future.

Now, I am here in NYC to start my new life, I have been here from three months and it was amazing for me. The first thing that I was looking for is finding a job; I remember when I wake up in the morning the first thing that coming in my mind is go to cheek job in any companies, after few day one company of cloths that I applied on it, called and offer me a position as a cashier, I worked one month in that company. Really I never like this kind of job because it has a big responsibility but I didn’t stop thinking and programming right there, I had a dream to release in my life is finding a job in my carrier and specialty, suddenly, I met one man that was like an angel for me, we were talking about experiences and presenting our selves than he saw my resume and told me “you have a good experience in printing and graphic industries, we have a printing company just let me send your resume for someone maybe we can do something for you” I said of course you can, I was very exciting and waiting for that company to call me. And finely a few days ago, the company called me to get interviews with them it was very interesting for me because I saw a new technology.

Right now, I’m working there enjoying my job that I do like it so much because the atmosphere in that company is wonderful they work as a big family. Thank God give me that opportunity and thanks to that Angel man who offer me this chance to start my new life.

In the first time when I came to NYC, I was surprised because I saw a lot of things that was new for me and everyone speaks English, really I was so bored that I cannot understand or speak English as well as American people but I didn’t stop there because I know that I had a goodwill to learn and speak English correctly and fluently in the future. so, I decide to integrate ESOL school when I met a lot of quite friends that we enjoyed and appreciate learning English together and do a lot of activities like (Analyze The Hunger Games book, I remember activity, Students Theater,…etc) it was and steel amazing to study with them.

Finely, I do thank our teacher and his method of studying that I like it too much, it remind me my friend’s teacher method when I was learning English a few months ago in my country. I do like also his effort and patience for us. I think that our teacher likes his job and likes being a good teacher that’s why he was very helpful for my English learning. I and every student of level five hopes that will be our teacher in the next season on January to continue our progressing of English learning.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. I just cannot hear the audio. I cannot find PLAY THE AUDIO.

    The story is amazingly wonderful and every time I read it I feel happy for Madjid. Oh we spent great moments when he was here. So, I am going to share a video that I myself made for him. There is no voice, no English, but I want our blog s students to see it and be stimulated to write comments and describe it for Madjid. Madjid deserves to be happy and successful in Life. He is a VERY, VERY good student.

    Hakim, Bejaia, Algeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hakim,

      I'm sorry you can't find the audio. If you enjoyed reading Madjid's story, it is ESSENTIAL that you hear it. The text is only half the story. Madjid spent a lot of time learning to use and manipulate Audacity (the audio editing program). He uses music that changes with the tone of the story, as well as field recordings from a high-powered printer. Best of all, Madjid performs the story with passion and enthusiasm, and even uses different voices for the speaking parts!

      The audio works fine for me. I added a new sub-heading in the post, that says "Play the Audio" in bold text. I hope it helps.

      -Eric

      Delete

Thanks for reading. Tell us what you think! Please write your name after your comment, so the author of the post knows who to reply to. You don't need to use your full name: first name only is fine.

-Eric, NYC