Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Level 5 NYC: The Lost Dream

This audio story is from Hakima.  Hakima dreams of being a teacher, but life presents many challenges.

The text fo the audio is below.

-Eric, NYC




Podcast Powered By Podbean



The Lost Dream

Everybody has a dream and mine was teaching children so when I finished high school I sat at home for three years. I didn’t find a  job and because my older sister was working, I took care of her children. I felt like she needed  money more then me, so I decided to spend time with them and cook meals, clean the house. It killed the time, but it wasn't my objective in life. I was desperate because I needed to financially support myself and felt options were limited. As I started looking for a  job, I put my resume in every school I knew of, and hoped somebody would call me, so I could start realizing my dream of teaching.                  

After I was waiting for so long, they sent me mail. I was in the living room with my mother and my two sisters on a rainy day. I put on a heavy blanket and drank hot coffee because it was cold. We were  watching TV and enjoy being together when somebody rang the door. I remember my mother went to open the door and I heard my name. It was the mail carrier and he said: ''this is for Hakima ", so I jumped from the sofa, and I remember I started to worry and cry before I even opened the mail. I was surprised that they accepted me at the school as a middle school teacher. My job was to watch the children and help them to do the homework and explain the academic exercises when the teacher was absent.

I was very happy  when some time I couldn't get to the school  the children came to my house  and ask about me .They loved me and I loved them.

I teach too math and science for some kids in my house for less money.

After two years I got married. My husband was in the USA. I remember when he told me to stay at home  his reason was I didn’t need to work now because   he’s my husband now he could send money for me, but nobody understood  me. It wasn’t only about the money, I wanted to work. I said strongly “It’s my life.”  

            Sometime I talked to my self and asked many question, why nobody understood? Life is not only money. For me be myself was my purpose teach children and be with them made me the happiest woman in the world. So when I got to the USA, I was happy finally with my husband but sad too because I lived my dream and all my wishes in my country. For me it was like no more teaching, when I looked around of me, I felt like I was not useful, all the time at home did the same things, I tried to learn English by myself but it was hard. One day I decided to change my life, I knew I didn't have many choices, but I went to the mosque I was learning about the religion and memorizing Quran, so every last month we took a test, I had good score one day they called me to teach children.  I was so happy but I didn’t accept because I was pregnant and for the second time I had an opportunity to realize my dream but I didn’t get it .


So, I wish my two kids and every woman can realize their dream and I hope one day I will be the best teacher in my country .                  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Hakima! This is beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IYes, it is beautiful and I do agree with you Karina. I wish Hakima the very best and I hope that all her dreams will become true. I do understand her feelings so much because I felt the same before being a teacher in my country. I always looked forward to being a teacher. I am so happy now for I am a teacher...lol. Hakima? I am sure you will a very successful teacher. I want you to be yourself and JUST DO IT RUNNING!

    Hakim, Bejaia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi teacher
    Thank you for your feeling, you know how it hard to found a job in our country but thanks god I try to be useful for my kids that why I am learning English and with teacher Erik I learned a lots of words and the greatest thing that he teached me was how I can be my self he was verry useful for me so thanks Eric tooooo much. now I am with other teacher and I enjoy be with other group ,I ask god to help everybody to realize there dreams.
    Hakima USA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Tell us what you think! Please write your name after your comment, so the author of the post knows who to reply to. You don't need to use your full name: first name only is fine.

-Eric, NYC