Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Level 5 NYC: Maria's Audio Story

Maria H. was a successful businessperson in Mexico, owning and operating a wholesale egg distribution company.  And she built her company "from scratch."  When she moved to New York City, she dreamed of expanding her business in Mexico.  But life in NYC can be difficult for anyone, and she found that she would have to "build from scratch" all over again.

Note: to build something from scratch is an idiom.  It means: to build from the beginning, or to build from nothing

Listen to her audio story below, and read along with the text.

-Eric, NYC



Maria's Story
I never thought things in my life would change 360 degrees, but it happened and I had to start working in a new stage in my life. 

Coming to New York City was a hard decision I had to make because I was a business woman in Mexico. I had to leave everything behind after I had worked for years to build my own business.  The first thing I planned when I got to the US was to find a job and work hard to save up money to expand my business in Mexico.  This was not as easy as I thought it would be. 

I was 16 when I started working for an egg distributor as an associate and learned the trade. I learned to distinguish the difference in quality of eggs. After three years I shared my interest with my boss of opening my own business, I thought he might not agree, but he encourage me and offered his support if I needed. 

After I began to plan how to start working, first I started working from my mother house buying from wholesale for one year, then I opened a small store where I sold the product in retail and wholesale.  After long time working hard, I could start buying from farms.

First of all, everything in NY was completely different.  The way people live in a very small place compared to the way I lived in Mexico, I felt like a bird in a cage, walking from one place to another in the apartment, finding halls and other doors before I found the street.  There were no people that I knew at that time.

I did not stop thinking about all my things I had left in Mexico, but life continued and another hard thing was to find work and started working as a worker again.  My first job was a kitchen helper.  

Nothing compared to the work that I used to do.  I worked in the restaurant for a while, cleaning vegetables, helping people to prepare different kind of things, until a friend of mine told me that a friend of his opened a new Laundromat. They needed someone to run the store and I accepted.

At the beginning I felt scared because I didn’t speak much English. This work helped me to feel more confident and secure in many aspects because I had to take care of the store and relate with people of other cultures. It opened my mind to new experiences of something that I enjoyed. 

Working in the store was a great experience, it helped me to improve my English and I felt more confident with the other people because I worked there as if it had been my own business. After a while, I started making decision in regards to the store and it made me feel good. I worked there for a long time until I solved my immigration status to start making plans about how to build my own business again.

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story. It was really very big decision to make before moving to New York. I am proud of you....

    Hakim, Bejaia, Algeria

    ReplyDelete
  2. i found the story very touching, and i like it a lot so your language, you have good ideas to transmit your fellings !!
    Ahmed(bad boy) Bejaia , Algeria

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that taking a decision as big as this one shows that you are a real brave woman with a lot of self confidence! I'm a litle bit jealous of your courage cause you could leave everything and went to do what you wanted to do...
      I wish you good luck for you job and your project...
      PS:i loved your way of writing :)
      Sam, Bejaia, Algeria

      Delete
  4. Yes, I am so glad to see that you love the story. Samia and Ahmed are my wonderful students. I am also very proud of you. I am so happy to see your comments here. I need you to know that I do treasure you a lot; I mean all my students and Eric s ones. Because of you, we can do our best to help you. Again, I do want to say something to you Maria; you are so brave and determided. Maria, I wish you good luck and happiness forever.

    Hakim, Bejaia, Algeria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi maria
    It is a beautiful real story and I know one day you will realize your own business and I wish you good luck,I am proud of you.
    Hakima USA

    ReplyDelete
  6. very beautiful and emotional story. It permit me to learn some words ... good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Drifa..I am happy for you because you love the story, especially it helps you to learn some new words.

    Good job Drifa.

    Hakim, Bejaia, Algeria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good story, it is written very well, and you seem to be a good challenger person, hope you good luck with your life in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  9. TAKING THIS DECISION NEEDS TO BE BRAVE ENOUGH AND MOVING TO THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS MAKES YOU IN FRONT OF LOT OF CHALLENGES BUT SINCE YOU DO WHAT YOU WANT AND WHAT YOU REALLY FEEL IT'S GOOD FOR YOU JUST DO IT .I HONESTLY ADORE YOUR PERSONNALITY. CHASING YOUR DREAMS DESERVES WORKING HARD ...THANKS A LOT I REALLY LEARNED FROM YOU .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Tell us what you think! Please write your name after your comment, so the author of the post knows who to reply to. You don't need to use your full name: first name only is fine.

-Eric, NYC