Thursday, April 4, 2013

Music: The Weight

The Band
The Band is a group with members from Canada and America. They were "the band" for Bob Dylan's live performances, but are most recognized for their many amazing albums.  They blend many styles, from blues, to rock, to country, and soul.

The Last Waltz
This first video was recorded for The Last Waltz, a farewell concert and documentary filmed by legendary film maker Martin Scorsese.  In this performance, The Band performs with The Staple Singers.

Aretha Franklin
The Weight has been performed by many amazing musicians, including "The Queen of Soul," Aretha Franklin.  I didn't think that I would find a version that I liked better than The Band's performance, until I heard Aretha Franklin's version.  Aretha's performance features Duane Allman, from The Allman Brothers Band on slide guitar.  It's a perfect mix of blues, rock and soul.

The Story (?)
This song tells the story of a man visiting a small Arkansas (US state) town.  Strange events and meetings happen, but this character seems to remain positive he can help carry "the weight" or burden.  


Video: The Weight, by The Band with The Staple Singers


Lyrics: The Weight
I pulled into Nazareth, I was feelin' about half past dead
Just need to find a place where I can lay my head
"Hey, mister, can you tell me where a man might find a bed?"
He just grinned and shook my hand and, "No", was all he said
Take a load off Anny
Take a load for free
Take a load off Anny
And you put the load right on me
(You put the load right on me)

I picked up my bag and I went lookin' for a place to hide
When I saw Carmen and the Devil walkin' side by side
And I said, "Hey, Carmen, come on, would you go downtown"
And she said, "Well, I gotta go but my friend can stick around"
And take a load off Anny
Take a load for free
Take a load off Anny
And you put the load right on me
(You put the load right on me)

Go down, Miss Moses, there ain't nothin' that you can say
'Cause just ol' Luke and Luke's waitin' on the Judgment Day
"Well, now Luke, my friend, what about young Anna Lee?"
He said, "Do me a favor, son, won't you stay an' keep Anna Lee      
     company?"
Take a load off Anny
Take a load for free
Take a load off Anny
And you put the load right on me
(You put the load right on me)

Crazy Chester followed me and he caught me in the fog
He said, "I will fix your rags, if you'll take Jack, my dog"
I said, "Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man"
He said, "That's okay, boy, won't you feed him when you can?"

Take a load off Anny
Take a load for free
Take a load off Anny
And you put the load right on me
(You put the load right on me)

Catch a Cannonball, now, to take me down the line
My, my bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time
To get back to Miss Anny, you know she's the only one
Who sent me here with her regards for everyone
Take a load off Anny
Take a load for free
Take a load off Anny
And you put the load right on me
(You put the load right on me)

3 comments:

  1. What I can say here is that I do thank you so much for sharing this song. I love blues as well as all other kinds of American music. As a teacher of English, I do say that this song is a lovely example due to its pedagogical and didactic importance.In short, I always tell my students to listen to songs, mainly Blues and Jazz, for jazz songs are snappy, upbeat chants and poems that use great rhythms to illustrate the natural stress and intonation patterns of conversational English. They can be a great help because they improve students' speaking and listening skills through rhythm and repetition.

    For instance, I sometimes ask my students to write their own Jazz chants. Then, I tell them to snap their fingers or clap their hands for the rhythm and make up fun stories at the same time...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For instance, this is what they wrote:
    " I am here and you are there,
    It is raining and it is not fair,

    I am looking at the waves behind the wives
    While looking for the loaves but not the knives

    It is raining today and we can't go away
    Because we are enjoying our day

    Hakim, Bejaia, Algeria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Led me say something sometimes the rhythm of the music take your attention and invite you to read the lyrics, at this time this is the case for me.Thanks ERIC

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Tell us what you think! Please write your name after your comment, so the author of the post knows who to reply to. You don't need to use your full name: first name only is fine.

-Eric, NYC