Saturday, April 20, 2013

Level 5 NYC: I Remember (Collaborative Writing Non-Game)

Photo of Joe Brainard (American artist and poet) & I Remember book cover.  This paired imaged was found at We Love You So (However, I can't find attribution for these images.).
This post is a reply to Hakim's post: I Remember It Well.  I think memories are fascinating.  And when we can unlock our memories, we have the potential to share so much about our lives and experiences.  Students in my classes have often written about their memories and experiences.  I would like to 

  • share a summary of the class activity
  • share some examples of students writing
  • invite you all to participate in the I Remember project

I am sharing this here, because I would like all of you to contribute to our collected memories.  After you read our examples below, please share your memories too in the comments.  Maybe we could make our own book own day: I Remember NYC and Bejaia!  From time to time, I will share more selections from our class work.

Some Background
Joe Brainard is an American poet and artist (you will see a few examples of his artwork bellow, borrowed from JoeBrainard.org).  He wrote a book called I Remember.  Every memory starts with the phrase “I remember.” Brainard has a talent for writing concisely. He says much in few words. He limits his writing to the most pertinent or important details to give the reader a clear picture. 

The book is unlike any other book I have read. But my favorite part about reading I Remember is that it always gives me ideas for writing. One critic compared his book to a "memory machine."

Classroom Activity
These are the directions I used for the classroom activity. I call this a "collaborative writing non-game." I challenge students to write as much as they can. But, of course, there is no "winner."

Directions:  Read until you have a memory you can write about.  Write your memory in the space.  Try to write as much as you can.  You can write more than one memory.  When we stop, pass your paper to the next person in your group and write again.  You can also write memories inspired by your classmates’ writing.  The only rule is you must start every memory with the phrase: I remember.


The Results
Below, you will see writing from my students, the volunteers in our classroom, writing from Brainard's book, and my writing too.  After doing this for a semester, we had about 40 pages of writing.  I'm not going to share all of that now.  I will share a small section.  After reading, I hope you will share your memories too.  Remember, you can write anything that comes to mind, or appears in your thoughts.  The only rule is: you must start each memory with the phrase: "I remember..."

I Remember...
I remember bubble gum. Blowing big bubbles. And trying to get bubble gum out of my hair.

I remember blowing big bubbles. They were very big.

I remember when I was in school I loved to make big bubbles until they blew up in my face.

I remember my first time that I tried to blow big bubbles. The gum got stuck to my nose.

I remember a street full of bubble gum on the walls next to it. It was called “Bubble Gum Alley.”

I remember my dad helping me pull out a loose tooth when I was a kid.

I remember when I didn’t tie my shoes I was very angry.

I remember opening the gifts before Christmas when my mom was cooking.

Untitled, 1978, mixed media collage. This image is copyrighted by JoeBrainard.org.
I remember during a bike race, I wanted to impress my girlfriend and I fell off my bike.

I remember that I didn’t learn to ride a bike until all my friends had already learned. I didn’t want to be left alone.

I remember when I was a child like to play with the dolls and I makeup with my mom’s makeup. 

I remember when I was in the kindergarten, I didn’t have friends because I hit so many of my classmates.

I remember my first of day class in the kindergarten, when I stood alone. I fled my classroom.

Untitled, 1978, assemblage. This image is copyrighted by JoeBrainard.org.
I remember how beautiful snow made the Lower East Side look. (So black and white.)

I remember when there was so much snow that school was cancelled for a week because the school bus couldn’t drive in the snow.

I remember shoveling the driveway with my brother, and digging caves out of the huge piles of snow we made.
Whippoorwill, 1972, oil on canvas. This image is copyrighted by JoeBrainard.org.

I remember wanting to leave football practice so I could play with my dog.

I remember that I looked forward to the free candy I got after a soccer game more than the game itself!

I remember being embarrassed to blow my nose in public.

I remember how many allergies I had last winter. I couldn’t stop cleaning my nose, so that it was red like a clown by February. 

I remember that my nose was dripping because I was sick when I met my boyfriend. He thought I was pretty even though my nose was running.

I remember starting many books that I never finished. I remember feeling very guilty because the author would be disappointed with me.

I remember this book I never finished.

I remember reading a book every night when I was a kid.

I remember feeling liberated the first time I stopped reading a book I didn’t like instead of finishing it anyway.

I remember reading a book that captivated my attention. When this author started to be a writer, he didn’t know what to do with his life. I have read almost 10 books from him.

I remember how much I loved Paulo Coelho. This writer made me love the idea to enjoy a book, living the story.
Carte Postale, 1978, mixed media collage, by Joe Brainard.  This image is copyrighted by JoeBrainard.org.

Respond
What did you remember when you read our memories? Please share in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Tell us what you think! Please write your name after your comment, so the author of the post knows who to reply to. You don't need to use your full name: first name only is fine.

-Eric, NYC