Thursday, April 11, 2013

Level 4 NYC: Performing You Are My Sunshine

Video: Level 4 NYC Performs You Are My Sunshine



Reflecting on the Performance

From Madjid (by email to Eric): "I was seeing the You Are My Sunshine video too many times and I do like it so much because simply was a great moment in a beautiful song and I saw when we were signing in the beginning some student were shy and I try to help them to be natural and feel as you are signing alone to your self."


From Eric (email response to Madjid): 
I think there is something great about this performance.  Every student is singing, and even the most shy students look like they are having fun.  For me, that is the greatest accomplishment of this performance.  Every student became comfortable enough to sing a song in English.  And everyone (including me) was comfortable enough to make mistakes, and smile about the mistakes.  Being comfortable to make mistakes is SO important for learning. When I see everyone reading and singing, I am filled to the top with happiness!"


Thanks to Madjid: I could not have recorded this song without your help.


And thank you to the students in Level 4, who trusted me to try another crazy experiment. 



About the Recording
Madjid recorded this video with a digital camera.  We also recorded separate audio tracks using a cell phone and laptop.  I mixed the audio tracks in Audacity, to improve the sound.  I used iMovie (Mac) to edit the video, add titles, and include my combined audio track. I don't think the video editing needed to be as complicated as this, but I wanted to practice using iMovie, and I wanted to see if I could combine Audacity and iMovie.

-Eric, NYC

7 comments:

  1. Hello Eric, Hello Madjid,

    What a very extraordinary job you have done together. Your performance inspired me to do so many crazy things related to English -learning process and share them with you. I need you to know that I saw your video many, many times before showing it to my students. They got very excited as soon as they finished seeing it and said:" Wow...it is so lovely and please let us do the same teacher." I replied:" Of course dear students". I could not meet my other classes, so I just met Level 4 and Level 2.

    As you can see, they performed for you to thank you so much for this collaborative learning. They also performed the song" Everywhere I Go" for Madjid because it means a lot to him.

    Honestly, what we have been doing together for our students through this blog is an amazing thing ; it is really priceless since its value is far greater than a mountain made of gold, for gold is powerless and lifeless to cheer. We should carry on this way. I personally have learned a lot. Yes, we learn through our mistakes as you said above.

    Thanks forever Eric, thanks a million Madjid and many endless thanks for your students, Level4, for their courage and willngness to perform for us and for them.

    Looking forward to doing more, more and more....lol!

    Hakim, Bejaia, Algeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's really wonderful, i like the song very much, it's touch me and i think that it will be the same thing for my class-mates if they will heard it, so thank you a lot for doing that just for us

      Delete
  2. hi there ,,, here is a bad boy(Lamine) ! firstly i wanna thanking a lot Madjid for his great job and say that an orchestra conductor Mr Eric was very wonderful with his guitar LOL,,, and say thanks also to the crew of the opera !!! LOL .
    yes seriously i'm really happy to heard your voices and see your faces and i wish you a lot of good luck...
    ahhhh by the way i wanna see another vedeos in this kind ,,,, please sir Eric add more ... take care yourselves !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello our famous Bad Boy,

      you know that our popular motto is` Yeaaaaaaaaaah`. Yeah stands for Learn English, Share things in English , Succeed in English and Have fun with English. We always say here` 1,2,3 Yeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh...`

      I am so glad to find you here after a long while. We do need you on this blog to share with us your personal touch that is really amazing. Let me tell you that `YOU ARE OUR SUNSHINE, too.

      I cannot wait for your performance videos. Habraka, Dabra You are our Clairvoyant. I want you to predict the future of our blog. You are a very nice witch, so I am sure that you are able to see good future for our perfect space in your cristal ball.....Habraka, Dabra.......Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah..../

      Please, take very good care of yourself.

      Hakim, Bejaia, Algeria

      Delete
  3. Hello Hakim (Desert Thaaloub), Amina (Nina) and Lamine (Bad Boy),

    First of all, thanks a lot for your awesome comments that encourage us to be more creative and productive.

    I want you to know all that without you and your collaboration, connection, helps, motivation, our blog is nothing at all.

    As you can see, this performance was the first time that we did it and the singers (students) was a little bit shy and afraid, but we did it finally and our goal is take a shyness away from everybody.

    Eric and I think that we can plane another songs for you. I know that we can do more and more interesting things that we can share them from the while of the Ocean Pacific.

    It's so impressive to hear that you like it. thanks a lot guys from Bejaia City, the city of Arts and Music.

    Hakim (Desert Thaaloub), Amina (Nina) and Lamine (Bad Boy) all of you; "you are my sunshine" ....hahahaha!


    1 2 3 YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    Madjid, NYC, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice performance , I enjoyed it a lot, and I apreciate the fact that you are frome different countries but you look geting allong well as brothers. I'm a big humanist, like people frome all the world and hope one day I'll go abroad and show to everyone that people are not the politics, that what they hear in the medias is a dark version of the reality, there's still love and peace in human hearts ther's a hope . I don't know you but I love you all. By the way ERIC reminds me of my teacher HAKIM , and also I like his accent OMG I like the american accent though people here in Algeria say they do not inderstand it. I've been watching series and films in american accent, this is why I feel it familiar to me .keep working togather as one, good luck friends.
    Abdelhak / bejaia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Tell us what you think! Please write your name after your comment, so the author of the post knows who to reply to. You don't need to use your full name: first name only is fine.

-Eric, NYC