Sunday, February 10, 2013

Level 4 NYC: One Students Email

Omar's Email: An Example of Self-Advocacy
From: Eric

I have been exchanging emails with many of the students of this class.  They have sent me their writing projects.  They have requested additional materials and resources.  They have communicated how difficult it can be to write.  And they have communicated their concerns about the class.  

I wanted to share with you one particular email from Omar.  I am sharing this because I think this is an excellent example of self-advocacy.  In other words: 

  1. Understanding what you need to learn 
  2. Recognizing problems 
  3. Communicating those problems to the people who can change things
  4. Offering possible solutions to those problems


While you read, identify how Omar 

  1. Understands what he needs to improve his English
  2. Recognizes problems in our class
  3. Communicates those problems to the teacher
  4. Offers possible solutions for our class


Individual work: On your paper, you can underline the four points of Self-Advocacy in four different colors.
Group work: On a computer, post your responses in the comments section below.  You can copy and paste Omar's words in the comments.

If you have questions about Omar's email, you can write the questions in the comments.

Note: I did not make any changes to Omar's email, except for a few changes in spelling for clarity.  I removed Omar's full name, and email address to respect his privacy.


On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Omar J----- <------------@gmail.com> wrote:


Eric,  good afternoon, I can use this media to do a few comments about the english class, throughout my  live I knew a lot off teachers in my high school and my university, with this experience can I recognize,  when the teacher is good or he doesnt have experience. In relation with you,  I recognize, that you is a innovative teacher that used technology  in your class, your methodology is very innovative, all the days you  are worrying about for new thing and  not do the class bored for us. thanks for this.


But if you note the majority are over 45 years, there people that for a long time they are in the United Estates and I think that for the  majority is very important,  imprescindible (essential) and necessary to speak quickly and that the people us  understand.  I do not know if you observed that some people can were boring in occasion, at least is my impression and I apologize if I'm wrong about the appreciation


Eric for my is important that in my class,  I speak a lot off,  that you correct me , that I can to read more, to known about the pronunciation the words,  in other words,  more practice. speak about the one situation in special, for example in the airport,  that I can  to do a reservation, well, talk by telephone, answering and call, talk with a mechanic about that the problem that my car, in the hospital explain to the doctor that I have a pain in my head, talk in the laundry with a people, that is to say lo daily, that I can to talk with the people without fear of being wrong that I can have a mistake.


I feel better in your class and need to improve my english


Sorry for my sincerity, I consider that is a good way because in class you are very busy.


Thanks





2013/2/8 Eric Shellhase <eshellhase@gmail.com>
Hello Omar,

Thank you so much for honesty.  I want my classes to be fun and engaging.  But most importantly, I want classes to be useful.  I want students to improve English to achieve their individual goals.  In the end, this class is not for me, but for the students.  

I know that the technology in class can be overwhelming and frustrating for many of the students.  And there are probably students in class who will never use email or Google Documents again after leaving my class.  However, it is important to me that students can be connected outside of class too.  I want students to be able to contact each other.  And I want students to be able to contact me about their questions and concerns.  And this is exactly what you did with your email.  Though, I did not want to spend as much class time as we have making email address and struggling with the computers.  A lot of this is new to me, and I have not perfected a method to teach technology.

Going forward, I don't want to spend as much class time (whole classes) with technology.  Technology will be a part of our class, but not the focus.  And I really appreciate your comments.  I will make an effort to focus more time on reading, pronunciation, speaking, and listening.

How can I help you achieve your specific goals, for example speaking to a mechanic, or doctor, or making a reservation?  Not every student has a car.  Many students visit doctors who speak their first language.  I think I would like to find out where students need to speak English.  Some may want English for job interviews, some may want English to speak to their children's teachers, some may want English for shopping.  For example, if there are five students who want to practice speaking about cars, we could make a group, and each week, spend time working on that.  

With your permission, I would like to share your email with the class.  I think you did a wonderful job respectfully communicating your concerns.  And I want students to know that when they have a concern, question, or suggestion of any kind, that they can talk to me.

Please let me know what you think.



-Eric



On Feb 9, 2013, at 7:56 PM, Omar J-------, -----------@gmail.com> wrote:

Good night Eric,
Thank you for your comments.   Yes, you can share my email with the class.  Please also ask them what they want to learn.
For instance, we can make dialogues talking about different situations of daily life, i.e., purchasing groceries, talking to someone in the train, asking for an address, and so on.
Have a nice weekend.
Regards,
Omar

Omar, 

I think writing and performing dialogues is a fantastic idea. I really appreciate your thoughtful suggestions. 

-Eric




Individual Work: Write your responses.

  1. What do you need to improve your English?
  2. What problems do you see with this class?


Group Work: Share your writing with your group.

  1. What needs do you have in common?
  2. What common problems do you notice?
  3. What solutions can you offer?
  4. How can you communicate all this with the teacher (Eric)?  You can write a blog post.  You can write an email.  You can write and mail a letter.  (If you decide to write a letter, I can give you an address to reach me.)  You can make a poster.   You can include drawings or photographs.  You can make one product (letter, email, poster, etc.) but you must include the ideas and writing from every student in your group.  Every student in your group must contribute.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Tell us what you think! Please write your name after your comment, so the author of the post knows who to reply to. You don't need to use your full name: first name only is fine.

-Eric, NYC